This will be big - Apogee have announced the new Symphony Desktop, a high-quality 10x14 USB audio interface with a bounty of incredible specs and features.
It's pretty clear that Apogee are intending to take on Universal Audio's Apollo interface series head on here, which will undoubtedly make for a battle of mammoth proportions. The Symphony Desktop boasts a similar touchscreen interface, and uses inbuilt DSP processing in unison with analogue circuitry to deliver the hybrid Alloy Mic Preamps, with emulations of British Solid State and US Tube preamps coming with the unit as standard. There's also native and hardware DSP versions of the Symphony ECS Channel Strip with EQ, Compression and Saturation controls, which has been tuned and treated by Bob Clearmountain - one of the best mix engineers in history.
The Apogee Symphony Desktop also features MIDI over USB and hosts USB-C connectivity for a swift working experience, as well as a FET instrument input to complement electric guitar recordings. It's also got the same A/D D/A converters and 24bit/192kHZ quality as the rack-mounted Symphony, while its two advanced stepped gain microphone preamps offer up to 75dB of gain with variable impedance. Check out all the specs below - there's a lot to dive into here!
Apogee Symphony Desktop Interface
- Flagship Symphony Sound Quality
- 10 IN x 14 OUT simultaneous channels of audio
- Cutting edge components and circuit design deliver detailed and pristine sound quality
- A/D & D/A Resolution up to 24bit/192kHz
- 2 Advanced Stepped Gain mic preamps, up to 75dB of gain, variable impedance
- Apogee Alloy Mic Preamp emulation (Analog processing + DSP modeling)
- Built-in hardware DSP processing of Apogee FX Rack plugins
- Includes British Solid State mic preamp emulation
- Includes 50s American Tube mic preamp emulation
- Includes Symphony ECS Channel Strip - Native and hardware DSP versions with EQ, Compression and Saturation
- Includes Symphony Reverb - Native version
- Flexible, zero latency plugin workflows: Print, Monitor and DualPath Link
- 1 Instrument input with variable impedance and colored FET input stage for electric guitar
- Analog Inputs: 2 x XLR-1/4" combi (mic/line), 1 x 1/4" (Hi-Z)
- Analog Outputs: 2 x 1/4" (monitor)
- 2 assignable headphone outputs: 1 x 1/4", 1 x 1/8”
- Digital I/O: 2 x Optical Toslink (ADAT,S/PDIF)
- Computer Connectivity: USB over type C Connector
- Dynamic touch screen display for comprehensive hardware control
- Software control: Symphony Desktop Control application
- MIDI over USB
- Compatible with iPad Pro, iOS 13
Apogee Electronics is distributed in Australia by Amber Technology.