Marketing Manager (Classics & Jazz) – Universal Music Group
Universal Music Group (UMG) is the world’s leading music and entertainment organisation, incorporating recorded music, music publishing and artist merchandise activities. The Group discovers, develops, markets and distributes recorded music through a network of subsidiaries, joint ventures and licensees in 77 countries worldwide.
UMG have an exciting opportunity available for a Marketing Manager to join their Classics & Jazz team (Sydney), which has enjoyed an unprecedented high share of the classical and crossover charts. The successful candidate will market and maximise sales opportunities across an amazing roster of Classics & Jazz artists from the world’s premier labels.
- Creation and execution of comprehensive marketing plans for artist projects and catalogue.
- Seek out and identify artists that resonate in Australia. Breaking new artists is a key measure of our success.
- Generate social and digital communications, create online and offline artist communities.
- Engage target audiences and align marketing plans with trends and consumer behaviour.
- Collaborate with key areas of the business including sales, promotions, business development & digital to create and project manage innovative marketing plans for assigned roster of Australian and International Artists.
- Proactively identify ways to drive revenue for your artists and their music, through product/pricing initiatives; social networking; engaging media; artist merchandise; and touring, promotional and publicity opportunities.
- Work effectively with external stakeholders and partners.
Skills/ experience required:
- An understanding and appreciation of Classical Music, Adult Contemporary and Jazz genres.
- Strong background in marketing (ideally in the music industry).
- Understanding & working knowledge of the digital space, emerging technologies and their effect on the music landscape.
- Artist liaison.
- Highly motivated & creative with excellent communication skills.
- Ability to manage a large and varied workload.
- Advanced relationship, negotiation and influencing skills.
If you love your Classics and Jazz, and think you’d be the right fit for the job, you can apply here.
Digital Media Style Writer – MTV Australia
MTV is the world’s premier youth entertainment brand and the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile.
MTV Australia and New Zealand currently has an exciting opportunity for a Digital Media Style Writer to join their editorial team on a 12 month fixed term contract, based in Darlinghurst, NSW.
- Write and break news editorial content for a variety of MTV platforms
- Ensure that editorial output across all platforms is produced in a timely fashion, incorporating MTV’s ‘Super Now’ policy on news editorial and maintain a consistent editorial style in line with the respective channel brands
- Research, write and conduct questions for use across linear and digital news events, press junkets, red carpet specials etc
- Collaborate with our team of digital video producers on shortform video such as talent interviews, tutorials, news bulletins, red carpet and festival specials
- Maintain and grow MTV Australia’s social engagement and audience through promotion of editorial
- Source and research content and imagery from a wide variety of partners and contacts
- Liaise with PR agencies to secure content opportunities
- Assist Digital Media Editor with Commercial Marketing brief responses and write and produce sponsored content
Skills/ experience required:
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in writing/editing entertainment news for a digital platform
- Experience in conducting talent interviews desirable
- Industry contacts such as music labels, film distributors, content providers, PR agencies and social media influencers
- Relevant tertiary qualification such as Degree/ Diploma in Communications, Media, or Journalism
- Basic Photoshop skills
- Online stats reporting tools eg. Omniture, Google Analytics
- Strong understanding of content management systems
- Aware of industry innovative developments, emerging technologies and competitive movements to create editorial that is cutting edge
- Knowledge of best SEO, SEM and social media practices
- Strong understanding of channel branding, properties and relevant editorial style/tone
- Must have impeccable attention to detail and fantastic writing ability in combination with an in depth knowledge of the entertainment and fashion industry
If this sounds like you, hit up MTV with your resume, cover letter and examples of your top published work at [email protected].
Internship – Speaker TV
I know what your thinking, how can an internship be a ‘top job’? Well, you have to start somewhere in your career, and gaining exposure in a nation-wide television program is a pretty good start.
Known for their national community television program and music, arts and culture website, Speaker TV are looking for fresh individuals to join their team. With a large cult following online and on the field, Speaker TV are looking for new interns in the Melbourne region to get involved, connected and experienced in editorial publication, reviewing and everything in-between.
Speaker TV are looking for individuals between 18-26 interested and passionate in the field of writing, reviewing and learning in the creative industries. Covering a variety of features, the company are currently refreshing their attention to sharing powerful content and championing those who want real industry experience. If you’re passionate about live music, visual arts, film studies, comedy, culture, politics or even satire, Speaker TV would love to offer you experience, connections and skill building opportunities in your desired field.
You will be required to come in one day a week to their office in Armadale (VIC) on either a Tuesday or Wednesday and work amongst their friendly team writing news segments, reviews, assisting in video content and collaborating on feature articles. Prior experience in online writing is preferred but not essential. They will look favourably upon those in university and who are familiar with Australia’s local music and arts scene, as this is where our passion and emphasis rests. The qualities that they look for in their interns are:
- Passionate and well-rounded opinions about popular culture, music and arts
- The ability to write to a deadline and communicate in a team environment
- Openness and curiosity in discovering new music, arts and culture locally and internationally
- Interest in planning, conducting and writing interviews with musicians, artists and topics
- The ability to creatively approach tasks with enthusiasm
So Why Do An Internship?
Being an intern at Speaker TV provides an opportunity to showcase your work on an established platform and monthly nationwide television program. With a friendly team connecting and supporting you, the experience and skills you will gain through our creative opportunities will be invaluable; full of professional feedback, events and most of all, critical industry experience that can help you get your foot in the door.
Speaker TV is also a credited platform for music and culture writing, with exposure to thousands of national and international viewers monthly. You will also have the opportunity and guidance of interviewing artists during content stories, Speaker Sessions and seasonal events that typically revolve around producing bespoke video content.
If you wish to apply for this position, please send either a short review (gig or album) you have written recently OR an article that champions your passions to [email protected].