Whether you're fresh out of uni, looking for a major career break or simply wanting extra money in between gigs, the music industry is a competitive place. To make things a little easier, here are our list of some of the best jobs going around the country, good luck!
THE MUSIC PARTNERSHIP - BAND DIRECTOR (SYDNEY)
The Music Partnership is a boutique, Sydney based company running band, string and instrumental music programs across inner Sydney. They are seeking a highly skilled band director to work within their concert band programs.
- The candidate will work closely with the company director to build and develop new and existing programs.
- The role includes weekly, before school band rehearsals and some lunchtime rehearsals. You would be working mainly with children aged 8-12. There would be several hours per week of program development.
- The successful applicant must have a genuine love of working with children and music education. They are looking for someone fun, dynamic and inspiring.
- A bachelors degree or similar qualification in music education or performance is essential.
- Extensive prior experience conducting bands is essential.
The Music Partnership are looking for someone committed and reliable who is looking to make Sydney their base and music education their career. You would be part of a dynamic team of over 70 tutors all working to support your goals and ideas. The successful candidate will have an outstanding salary package, including sick days and holiday pay.
To apply please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
MUSIC CITY - RETAIL SALES (CAIRNS)
Music City are Cairns’ official dealer for Gibson, Epiphone, Fender, Music Man basses, Blade, Duesenberg, Maton, C.F. Martin, Admira, Takamine, Hiwatt Amps, Kustom valve amps and many more quality brands. Music City also specialises in high quality ukuleles, such as Kiwaya, Koaloha, Kanile’a, Pono, Ohana, Kala and Koyama ukes, and related accessories, such as uke gig bags and quality strings, such as the Hilo strings made in Hawaii, Italian Aquila strings and Japanese Worth strings.
Some knowledge of Orchestral and school Instruments required e.g. violins, woodwind etc
To apply email email@example.com.
MACRO MUSIC - HEAD OF RECORDED MUSIC (SYDNEY)
Macro Music is an all-service music management company, based in Sydney and Fremantle, Australia. Offering worldwide representation for some of Australia's most exciting artists, Macro Music leads the way in creative and innovative, career-focused music business. They are currently looking for an individual who is experienced in the world of recorded music and label management to join the team in Sydney in a permanent role as the head of recorded music. The role will deal with all facets of releasing music from Macro's roster of top-tier and developing Australian artists as well as releases that come through their own independent label Ten To Two Records.
The successful candidate will have in-depth knowledge of and proven experience managing Australian artist releases for both local and international markets. They will also have extensive experience in innovative insights-based marketing and a proven track record of successful releases.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Develop comprehensive release plans and strategic insights-driven marketing campaigns
- Work closely with a variety of labels both major and independent on planning and execution of campaigns
- Coordinate impactful album pre-order strategies via exclusive merch bundles, offers and incentives
- Liaise with publicists to develop and implement strategic communication plans around releases
- Manage marketing budgets for local and international release campaigns
- Work closely with digital marketing agencies on advertising campaigns throughout release cycles, tours and to drive merchandise sales
- Book, brief and oversee artwork design, photography and video asset creation
- Communicate plans and updates to artists, labels, promo reps, publicists and other key stakeholders
- Proactively identify opportunities to further drive revenue for artists and their music in a variety of ways across touring, merch, brand partnerships, etc.
- Manage the creation and delivery of limited edition items such as collectors box sets featuring exclusive merch items
Experience/Skills Required :
- A proven track-record of successful label management for Australian artists
- Knowledge of production requirements for releases - coordinating label copy, mastering, ISRCs, vinyl parts for manufacture, etc.
- Commissioning creative assets such as logos, album artwork, promo photos, music videos and content, etc.
- Writing and editing artist bios, press releases and other key release information
- Monitoring follower sentiment and engagement on social media and tracking audience behaviour on streaming services such as Spotify
- Proven success with engaging, fresh and creative ideas for artist-relevant content to accompany releases
- Experience working on multiple projects simultaneously with the ability to prioritise tasks efficiently
- Existing relationships within the local industry across labels, publishers, publicists, creatives, etc.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Extremely passionate about Australian music across a range of genres from both established and developing artists
- Forward-thinking and a self-starter who constantly seeks out new ways to improve and excel
- Strong project management, organisational skills and a keen eye for detail
- Confident in working directly with artists, a variety of record label teams, publicists and creatives
- Highly proactive and capable of a high level of productivity without close supervision
- Able to work under pressure and manage varying workloads throughout the year
This role is an incredible opportunity for the right person to really make their own and achieve the best possible results for some of Australia's most exciting artists.
If this sounds like you, please send your resume and a cover letter detailing your experience to Rowan Robinson at firstname.lastname@example.org. Only applicants with the necessary experience need apply and all applications will be handled with strict confidentiality. Applications close COB Monday July 17.
WOLLOMBI & NARARA MUSIC FESTIVALS - SPONSORSHIP SEEKER (SYDNEY)
Wollombi & Narara Music Festival are on the hunt for a sponsorship seeker to help take both events to the next level. Now in its eight year Wollombi Music Festival has grown to be one of the most popular boutique festivals in the Hunter Valley & Narara Music Festival launched successfuly on the Central Coast in May - there is a lot of festival love for both events.
Both events are looking to grow over the next two years and are looking for the right person to join the team to help make that happen.
You'll need to be a well connected, savvy communicator with experience in the music industry & be able to identify brands that align well with both Wollombi & Narara (they're different) & build relationships that are mutually beneficial for both festivals & sponsors.
Remuneration is on a commission basis but the commission is generous. Details will be discussed via email & then by phone. To apply head to contact Adrian Buckley at email@example.com.
PEDESTRIAN.TV - FREELANCE VIDEO PRODUCER (SYDNEY)
Pedestrian's looking for a versatile all-rounder to work with our growing team across a range of new video and brand projects launching over the coming months. It's a diverse role that will see you working as part of our creative projects team managing all elements of upcoming video projects from pre-production, filming, editing, motion graphics and client management. This is a non-technical producer role although the ability to shoot and help on-location/set with audio and or 2nd camera will be viewed favourably.
- Experienced (read three-five years in similar roles)
- Organised (are well structured call-sheets a source of comfort?)
- An excellent communicator via email, phone and in-person (do other people like the sound of your own voice as much as you do?)
- Creative and dedicated to producing exceptional work
Please click here to apply and provide a combined Cover Letter and CV document with your full-name in the filename. Please also include online links to past work that you've produced Both full-time and contract role durations are being considered for the role. The role is based at Pedestrian HQ in Surry Hills.