Whether you're fresh out of uni, looking for a major career break or simply wanting extra money in between gigs, the music industry is a competitive place. To make things a little easier, here are our list of some of the best jobs going around the country, good luck!
ARTIST DAY TO DAY/BUSINESS MANAGER – CHUGG ENTERTAINMENT (SYDNEY)
The Artist Day-to-Day / Business Manager is the principal point of contact for managed artists and provides administrative, logistical, and organisational support to the Head of Chugg Music for the day-to-day running of Chugg Music.
- Day-to-day management of artist roster across all live, recording, merchandising, publishing, endorsement and other commercial activities.
- Administrative responsibilities across all internal business unit functions including finance management, human resource management, provision of support to wider organisation and team management of direct reports.
- Supervision of Artist release campaigns alongside the Label Manager, including management of campaign budgets, music servicing, strategic marketing and PR campaign development, manufacture and distribution, determining release schedules and communication with internal and external stakeholders.
- At least 5 years’ experience in the music industry and at least 2 years at a team leader or management level.
- Experience in the broader entertainment industry or related industries will also be considered.
- Must be able to work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Have a keen eye for detail and a strong work ethic.
- Previous artist management or record label experience is preferred, but not essential.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted, please head here to apply.
STUDIO ASSISTANT MANAGER (BOOKINGS) – STUDIOS 301 (SYDNEY)
Studios 301 are the largest and longest running studio facility in Australia. In 2017 our brand continues to reaffirm it’s position at the forefront of the music industry with the construction of our brand new, state-of-the-art recording facility due to open in 2017. An opportunity currently exists for a Studio Assistant Manager (Bookings) to join their team. In this role you will oversee all recording studio bookings, relevant staff scheduling, invoicing, client relations and provide any required support and assistance to the Operations Manager. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator, have a proven track record in sales, be highly organised and must have prior experience working in a commercial production environment.
- Handle all incoming phone and email studio booking enquiries
- Provide quotes and packages in relation to client enquiries and budgets
- Track and regularly follow up all phone, email and web enquiries
- Liaise with clients and staff in regards to session requirements
- Schedule studio sessions, equipment and required staff
- Collect client confirmations, deposits, and payments and issue invoices
- Pro-actively source potential and future work
- Uphold strong relationships with regular and key clients
- Answer phone calls and directing to the required staff member
- Greet clients on arrival at the facilities
- Follow up on client satisfaction after sessions are completed
- Undertake other tasks as requested by Management
Key Selection Criteria:
- Prior experience working within a recording studio, preferably in studio coordination and/or bookings preferred but not essential
- Ability to multi-task and work effectively under pressure
- Proven organisational skills with high attention to detail
- Proven sales skills
- Ability to organise, prioritise, meet deadlines and work independently
- Demonstrated high level of communication skills, both verbal and written
- Demonstrated client service orientation
- Previous experience as well as post-secondary qualification(s) within the music or audio industry is highly desirable
- Knowledge of the local and international music and audio industries
- Proficient in the use of the required software (Office Suite, Studio Suite)
- Ability to work in and foster a harmonious working environment
- Willingness to pursue professional development opportunities
If this sounds like you head over here to throw your hat in.
MUSIC PROGRAMMER – MTV AUSTRALIA (SYDNEY)
MTV Australia and New Zealand currently has an exciting opportunity for a Music Programmer to join their hardworking team, based in Darlinghurst. MTV is the World’s premier youth entertainment brand and the cultural home of the millennial generation, music fans and artists, and a pioneer in creating innovative programming for young people. MTV reflects and creates pop culture with its award-winning content built around compelling storytelling, music discovery and activism across TV, online and mobile.
They are looking for a talented Music Programmer with at least three years’ experience who can use their music expertise and in-depth audience knowledge to generate imaginative, innovative and compelling music programming which our audiences will relate to and engage with. If successful, you will work closely with the Programming Manager and the wider music team to design competitive music schedules which align with the overall business goals and objectives.
- Responsible for the daily programming of 1 to 2 ANZ music channels
- Ensure rotation policies are in line with the overall music strategy for the channels
- Editorially check music to ensure song flow is strong and maximises time spent viewing
- Generate imaginative, current and engaging programming throughout the schedule
- Executing or overseeing channel stunts or highlights which reinforce our music credibility and deliver positive channel ratings
- Work closely with the Talent & Music department to create content which is consistent with overarching programming strategy & business objectives
- Maintain strong relationships with both major and independent labels and artists
- Liaise daily, and meet regularly, with record company or artist representatives to receive and discuss new releases, tours and promotional opportunities
- Oversee local music video selection and recommendations for weekly playlist in consultation with the music team
- Manage new music video acquisition and oversee delivery process, including late delivery priority requests (LDRs)
- Be proactive in highlighting emerging and changing music trends relevant to the MTV music channels and identify any gaps in current music schedules
- Ensure the regulatory code relating to the broadcast of music videos is adhered to, and that all restrictions on the music videos are rigorously respected
- Maintain up to date knowledge of competitor schedules, editorial decisions, new content, and events in relevant markets
- Maintain and manage music channel databases and liaise with relevant parties regarding rights and clearances for repeat showing
- Assist the digital team in generating and updating music or playlist related editorial, online
- Three plus years in a similar role
- Relevant tertiary qualifications are desirable (completion of secondary education required)
- Music Master understanding desirable but not essential
- Good Microsoft office skills (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience in programming or scheduling software
- Knowledge and understanding of television ratings measurements
- Strong understanding of social media and communication
- Broad Music knowledge and passion across all eras and genres
- Excellent organisational ability
- Exceptional interpersonal skills
If this sounds like you, hit them up with your resume and cover letter at email@example.com.
MUSIC EDITOR – APPLE MUSIC & ITUNES, AUSTRALIA AND NEW ZEALAND (SYDNEY)
Apple has a new and opening for a Music Editor to join the existing music team, working across Apple Music & iTunes. We are looking for an experienced editorial programmer who lives and breathes music. Someone who is passionate about current and past music, but more importantly, has a track record of engaging and thrilling music lovers across Australia and New Zealand, regardless of whether they are into Tame Impala, Little Mix or they just want a great playlist to set the mood the next time they’re entertaining.
- Outstanding specialist music knowledge, in as many contexts and genres as possible.
- A demonstrable passion for new music, local and international.
- Three plus years experience programming music on digital or cross-media platforms to achieve specific audience retention and acquisition goals.
- Three plus years digital production experience in a high volume, professional environment, including experience using different CMSs and other production platforms and tools.
- Proven ability to display sound, clear-headed editorial judgement under pressure.
- A deep understanding of the Australian and New Zealand music and entertainment landscapes.
- The ability to balance different responsibilities, priorities and schedules daily.
- A natural fascination with the intersection of music, media and technology.
If this sounds like you head over here to apply.
DIGITAL CONTENT PRODUCER - NOVA ENTERTAINMENT (MELBOURNE OR SYDNEY)
Nova Entertainment is looking for a digital journalist to fill the role of Digital Content Producer to be based out of Melbourne or Sydney.
To fit the bill, you’ll be diverse - writing across two publications - Nova Entertainment’s lifestyle website Smooth, and our young, fresh, vibrant Nova sites, nationally. You’ll need to be the kind of person who is up-to-date with hard hitting local and national news, entertainment and celebrity gossip, pop music, lifestyle, what’s on and travel guides.
- You are a journalist with a nose for news
- The ability to create a different, interesting angle from every day news
- Social media skills - can you create an engaged audience on Facebook? Do you know the best times to tweet? Are you an Instagram whiz?
- Know how to work a CMS and HTML
- Able to work well under pressure, to daily deadlines
- Bursting with initiative? Are you going to swoop in, help out and go the extra mile?
- Flexible? You’ll be able to work weekends, breakfast hours, weekdays or the late shift if need be
- Creative? You’ll need to be able to pick out great images, gifs and other tools to enhance to your story
- Somebody who understands and can apply SEO best practice
- You’ll have a minimum of two years experience as a journalist or writer in the digital sphere, with a portfolio of demonstratively excellent work
- You’ll have a degree in journalism or media
- Experience of using Photoshop preferred
To apply, email your resume and two-three written pieces that reflect Nova FM and Smooth FM now to Emily Whitham, Deputy Digital Editor at firstname.lastname@example.org.