Stompbox titans Boss have continued their conquest at NAMM 2019 with the revelation of the SY-1, a feature-packed small synthesiser pedal that looks to be become the ultimate companion for all your weird and whacky endeavours.
With a grand total of 121 sounds (!), the Boss SY-1 aims to simplify the process of synthesis for the fretted kind, presenting users with Effect, Direct, Tone, Rate/Depth, Variation and Type controls to tweak sounds to their pleasing. It also boasts zero latency and tracks polyphonically, so all your chords and arpeggios will run clean no matter how hard you may shred. How thoughtful.
Check out Boss's description of all the sound types offered by the SY-1 below. These can obviously be tweaked and modified extensively using the other parameters of the pedal, but we reckon they form a pretty solid foundation for most synth sounds.
- LEAD 1/2—A wide range of sounds suitable for single-note soloing.
- PAD—Full tones that work great with chords, from layered pads to synth brass and more.
- BASS—Fat synth bass sounds, including filtered and sub-octave tones.
- STR—Classic analog-style strings, including layered voices and sweeping textures.
- ORGAN—A large selection of organ sounds, including many with rotary-style modulation.
- BELL—Percussive synth sounds with metallic resonance.
- SFX 1/2—A variety of synth sound effects, including explosive one-shot sounds, animated pitch/filter voices, and more.
- SEQ 1/2—Pulsating sounds with rhythmic pitch or filter changes.
Furthermore, the Boss SY-1 features the option to be controlled via an external foot pedal, allowing you to change and control parameters remotely for fluid operation, while the Dy function lets you blend in your pure signal for a dense, stacked sound. If that's not enough, the SY-1 even has a Momentary Hold function so you can create chords that sustain forever - but only if you want to.
All in all, this looks like a massive release for Boss, and we can't wait to get our hands on one. Stay tuned!
Check out all the details at Boss's website.