For many of us, Disney films were a seminal aspect of our childhood, and their soundtracks introduced us to a lush new world of orchestral film composition.
Disney: Super Guitar, a new compilation album from Walt Disney Records, sees esteemed electric guitarists such as Zakk Wylde, Paul Gilbert, Phil X, Orianthi, Richie Kotzen and more reimagine classic Disney songs as instrumental guitar compositions.
The compilation album sees Black Label Society guitar hero Zakk Wylde tackle the iconic theme from Beauty and the Beast, with Wylde stating his satisfaction in his own (de)construction of the song -"Originally, it was a beautiful, dreamy piece. Now, it's a cruel nightmare. I take pride in that."
Elsewhere, Mr. Big's Paul Gilbert discussed his wah-drenched reimagining of The Little Mermaid's 'Under The Sea,' giving away a hot tip for guitarists looking to make some slippery guitar sounds: "To create an under-the-sea sound, I operated my wah-wah pedal as quickly as possible while playing my guitar parts."
While the album isn't available to stream in Australia yet, you can hear previews of the songs via Amazon Music and check out the full tracklist below.
Disney Super Guitar tracklist:
1. Zakk Wylde - "Beauty And The Beast" (Beauty And The Beast)
2. Paul Gilbert - "Under The Sea" (The Little Mermaid)
3. Tak Matsumoto - "When You Wish Upon A Star" (Pinocchio)
4. Mike Orlando - "A Whole New World" (Aladdin)
5. Orianthi - "Someday My Prince Will Come" (Snow White)
6. George Lynch - "Hellfire" (The Hunchback Of Notre Dame)
7. Richie Kotzen - "Can You Feel The Love Tonight" (The Lion King)
8. Jeff Watson - "Colors Of The Wind" (Pocahontas)
9. Phil X - "Chim Chim Cher-ee" (Mary Poppins)
10. Ron Thal - "Reflection" (Mulan)