Whether you're fresh out of uni, looking for a major career break or simply wanting extra money in between gigs, the music industry is a competitive place. To make things a little easier, here's our list of some of the best jobs going around the country.
PUBLICIST - [PIAS] / INERTIA (Sydney)
One of the world's leading independent music companies, [PIAS] / Inertia, are currently seeking a full time publicist to join their Sydney offices. With clients including artists such as Ride, Black Motorcycle Club, Primus and Margaret Glaspy, and record labels ATO Records, Transgressive and Mute, this position will benefit an ambitious candidate looking to make a career in the music industry.
- A strong passion and detailed knowledge of contemporary music, across a wide range of genres
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in public relations
- A sound understanding of the music media landscape and an understanding of radio servicing
- Excellent communication, both verbal and written skills
- Strong administration and time management skills and a keen attention to detail
- Ability to solve problems, be self-motivating and work independently
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Experience with Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Shared Google Docs, Mail Chimp desirable
- Managing multiple promotional schedules, writing and distributing timely press releases
- Creating unique opportunities for artist engagement and promotion, to highlight the artist’s music and character
- Creating effective radio strategy and regular service meetings
- Understanding emerging trends in social and online media, to promote your roster of releases
- Providing advice on the creation of content, images, video and social media messaging to further enable the campaign
- Being responsive and detailed in filtering feedback to relevant partners per campaign
- Develop an understanding of the [PIAS] catalogue to promote historical releases and notable anniversaries
To apply, please email your CV, a cover letter detailing your experience in the above tasks, and an outline of what your dream band lineup would be (only using artists associated with [PIAS]) to firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday March 15.
OPERATIONS AND PRODUCTION MANAGER - QUEENSCLIFF MUSIC FESTIVAL (Queenscliff, Victoria)
One of Australia's finest seaside folk festivals, Queenscliff Music Festival, is hunting a talented Operations and Production Manager to work on a part-time contracted basis over the space of ten months to help put together Queenscliff Music Festival for 2018.
- Experience working as a professional festival and/or events Operations and/or Production Manager
- Experience working in arts, preferably music and music festivals
- Experience formulating quality administrative management systems
- Experience scoping, managing and reporting on event budgets
- Excellent written and verbal communications
- Excellent time management, including setting and meeting deadlines
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of the Microsoft Office suite or equivalent
- Experience in Risk Management, Emergency Management and OH&S planning
- Experience in staff and contractor management
- Operations and schedules for the event
- Financial management
- Staff management
- Risk management
- Communication and administration for the event
Sound like you? Send your CV and cover letter detailing your experience with your three most recent referees to email@example.com with QMF Operations and Production Manager Application as the subject.
PRODUCTION COORDINATOR - DAVID ROY WILLIAMS ENTERTAINMENT (Melbourne)
DRW Entertainment specialise in concert promotions, and if you're successful in your application, so can you. The multi-faceted company is seeking a talented individual to join their Melbourne team as a Production Coordinator.
- Bachelors Degree in Business or related field
- 1-3 years experience in similar role
- Experience with marketing campaigns
- Detail oriented and able to coordinate multiple work streams under pressure
- Extensive knowledge of Microsoft Office and WordPress
- Ability to take initiative, problem solve and perform research
- Knowledge of concert promotion and live events
- Venue liasion
- Marketing Coordination
- Entertainment Visas
Interested? Send your resume and a cover letter including a summary of key reasons for DRW Entertainment to hire you to firstname.lastname@example.org
SYNCHRONISATION MANAGER - KOBALT MUSIC PUBLISHING (Sydney)
Kobalt, the leading technology powered music services company specialising in music distribution and ownership, is seeking a publicity wizard to help take the company to new heights in their Sydney offices.
- Mid-level experience working in the synchronisation, TV/Film production, advertising, and/or music business with well-developed relationships within the industry
- Detail oriented, organised, timely and accurate as well as persuasive and able to close deals
- Ability to work on creative music searches and place songs
- Understanding of music licensing and industry terminology used to negotiate the material deal points of a brand and synchronisation license
- Copyright knowledge as it relates to the music industry (on both the master and publishing side)
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously and efficiently
- Excellent communication, time management and interpersonal skills
- Punctual and available to work extra hours as needed
- Strong proficiency in computer software applications including Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, iTunes, Emailing marketing tools etc.
- Creative pitching and clearance of the Kobalt Music Publishing and Kobalt Music Recordings catalogue across various media including advertising, television, film and online for both Australia and New Zealand
- Facilitate, negotiate and close synchronisation requests
- Create, develop and maintain relationships with brands, music supervisors, production companies, directors, editors etc.
- Proactively reach out to contacts for their creative music needs to further build the Kobalt profile and increase revenue
- Assist Director of Synchronisation ANZ with rights clearances, admin and playlisting
- Manage contact lists and generate outgoing communications including Newsletters
- Regularly liaise with Kobalt clients on artist campaigns, new works and assets
- Regularly update the international Kobalt team on local roster updates
- Maintain good relationships with Kobalt clients, including but not limited to writers and artists, as well as their representatives
- Attend Kobalt client events/shows as necessary and bring key contacts from all media areas to these events/shows
- Attend industry events and/or organise artist showcases as necessary
To capitalise on this opportunity, click here.
VIDEO PRODUCER / EDITOR - SBS POP ASIA (Sydney)
Australia's number one location for Asian Pop, the fittingly titled SBS Pop Asia, is currently seeking a talented self-starter ready to take on a new challenge as Video Producer / Editor in the company's Sydney office.
- 3-5 years shooting and editing in a fast-paced, deadline driven production environment
- Technical knowledge of industry standard editing equipment, cameras and lenses, in-studio and location lighting, audio capture and composition is required
- Ability to clearly and concisely produce content and direct crew/talent regarding equipment, camera angles, movement and other variables
- Ability to plan and coordinate multiple video projects across the week and feed content to the Senior Digital Content Producer
- Must have outstanding communication and have adaptable interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work with internal and external partners and talent
- Knowledge of broadcast to TV requirements and maintain efficient video storage administration
- Experience on Adobe Creative Cloud apps 2015 and later including Premiere Pro, After Effects, Media Encoder are a must
- An understanding of Dalet Galaxy desirable but not essential
- You will come ready to produce and deliver video content to a young Asian Pop audience. Asian Pop may not be your area of interest currently; however you will need to have a desire to learn more about this growing culture