Whether you're fresh out of uni, looking for a major career break or simply wanting extra money in between gigs, the music industry is a competitive place. To make things a little easier, here's our list of some of the best jobs going around the country.
COMMUNICATIONS & PUBLICITY MANAGER – BLUESFEST (Lismore)
Bluesfest is fast approaching its 30th anniversary celebrations, and they’re looking for a full-time Communications & Publicity Manager to help ensure the next Byron Bay live music extravaganza is the best one yet.
- Have a degree in Music, Media and Communications or similar
- Multi-task and work to tight deadlines
- Highly organised/strong attention to detail
- A 'no job is too big or too small' attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Proficient writing and editing skills
- At least 3 years’ proven PR and Marketing experience
- Strong media relations
- Willing to be available outside regular working hours
- Ability to work in a team as well as autonomously
- Managing and coordinating festival announcements, including liaising with media, ticket agencies, internal staff and artist management
- Managing and writing artist announcements, press releases and artist bios, and managing the approval process internally, as well as with artist management
- Managing and co-ordinating writing, building and sending regular electronic news blasts to promote the festival and touring
- Planning and implementation of social media strategy and campaigns
- Working with external PR team to ensure maximum publicity opportunities for the festival and artists
- Managing pitches, and other supporting documents for corporate partnership opportunities
- Overseeing brand and communications, including website and social media
Interested? Hit the link and submit your application prior to Sunday November 25.
PROGRAM DIRECTOR – BRISBANE FESTIVAL (Brisbane)
Taking over the city centre each September for a fusion of music, theatre, dance, circus and opera events, Brisbane Festival is always a highlight on the calendar. They’re currently on the lookout for a Program Director to be responsible for the successful delivery of the artistic program.
- Proven experience in delivering an annual artistic program, informing a multi-year programming strategy and ability to maintain an overview of multiple productions and projects over several years of planning
- Demonstrated experience in the management and oversight of creative, human, physical and financial resources within a complex arts and events company
- Leadership skills and collaborative working style that inspires trust, respect, loyalty and cooperation of others
- Considerable skills and experience in advocacy for annual festivals, programs and associated activities to a wide range of stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills and proven ability to master systems, processes and procedures designed to deliver major events
- Head of the Program Team
- Support the Artistic Director in the development of the Brisbane Festival artistic program
- Responsible for the successful delivery of the artistic program
- Provide a vital leadership role as a member of the Executive Management Team
- At peak times, manage up to nine direct reports who together lead a Program Team of approximately 12 staff. Interns, secondments and volunteers join the team in August and September
- Responsible for the development, delivery and reconciliation of the program budget
- Work closely with the Technical Director and Finance Director to ensure accurate and timely budget reporting to the CEO
If this sounds like you, visit brisbanefestival.com.au/jobs to apply by Friday November 9.
MUSIC PUBLICIST – COMES WITH FRIES (Sydney)
Sydney-based digital agency Comes With Fries is searching for a part-time Music Publicist to join their team, with plans to progress the position to a full-time role in 2019.
- Organised and personable multi-tasked
- Strong worth ethic
- Great media contacts
- Positive, proactive attitude
- You’ll have to live and breathe music
- Minimum of 1 year’s PR experience as a music publicist
- Strong knowledge of print, online, TV and radio
Get your foot into the door of the music industry by applying for this position by Friday November 16 via email to Vanessa Picken at firstname.lastname@example.org.
MARKETING ASSISTANT – TMRW MUSIC (Sydney)
TMRW Music Group is a hub for some of Australia’s most exciting music labels, agencies, artists and events, offering a creative environment with birthday leave, early Friday finishes, office dogs and gigs galore. They’re looking for a part-time, entry-level marketing assistant to join their Sydney office.
- Bachelor’s Degree strongly preferred – Marketing, Communications or Business
- 1 year work experience gained in a professional environment
- Solid knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Word and Excel
- Strong written and presentation skills
- Experience in managing social media platforms would be seen favourably
- A passion for music and solid understanding of domestic and global electronic music scene
- Sound understanding of marketing and business principles
- Knowing the basics of Photoshop is a plus
- Must be a ‘yes’ person, a quick learner, eager to help and excited at the prospect of spinning a few plates
- Multi-tasking abilities and a generally high level of common sense will see you succeed in this role
- Executing social plans created by the Marketing Manager for releases and events
- Community management – socials and YouTube
- Utilising basic analytics tools to provide reporting
- General administrative support – updating reports, responding to inbound queries
- General office support – answering the front door, assisting with mail deliveries
- Basic Photoshop editing – resizing of images (training provided)
- Basic Adobe Premiere editing – cutting video clips (training provided)
- Assist with radio send outs through MPE (training provided)
- Release day admin – product checks, Linkfire set up
- Website maintenance as required
Want to join the TMRW team? Send a cover letter and resume to Billie Browning at email@example.com.
Image via Danny Howe.