Whether you're fresh out of uni, looking for a major career break or simply wanting extra money in between gigs, the music industry is a competitive place. To make things a little easier, here's our list of some of the best jobs going around the country.
ACCOUNT CO-ORDINATOR (FESTIVALS) - AUDIENCE REPUBLIC (Sydney)
If you're a fiend for hot sounds and a bit of a crash hot gun at marketing to boot, this one's right up your alley. Audience Republic, who boast a range of clients including Pitch Festival, Beyond The Valley and Lost Paradise, is looking for an experienced marketing professional to join their Darlinghurst offices and help sell some candy in the world of music.
- Love music - going to gigs and discovering new talent
- Keep up-to-date with trends - in music & marketing, new tech and key artist campaigns
- Creativity - be able to develop concepts and find partners to execute them while driving the creative process yourself
- Be flexible - things can change quite quickly and being easy going and adaptable will be important
- Work well with a small team - we all work closely with each other, but you should be able to work autonomously when needed
- Have a flair for developing and nurturing relationships with clients & contacts
- Report to the General Manager to develop music & creative ideas and strategies to guide our artists
- Build and manage your local & international networks with producer managers, artist managers, publishers, photographers, videographers, graphic & merch designers etc. to locate new music & creative opportunities and be their first point of contact
- Identify exciting new artists, producers and writers, initiate contact, and work to sign them to the roster
- Grow relationships with artists on the roster to work through their releases, songs and creative
- Develop artists by organising song writing & producer sessions, and managing all schedules & logistics of the writing/recording process
- Curating remix and alternate release packages
- Maintaining library of all artist masters, sessions and splits, and scheduling music releases in accordance with Wonder’s policies and procedures
- Working alongside our Head of Marketing on all creative assets, timelines, promo plans and release strategies to ensure our artists stand out in the marketplace both locally and internationally
- Creating mood boards and developing overall aesthetics for each artist project
- Developing asset and content creation plans for our artist releases (e.g. single/album artwork, photo shoots, merch products, music videos, BTS content) and working with external creative parties to effectively execute them
- Researching and analysing market trends
- Send weekly overviews to key stakeholders with updates on artists and roster including artists to watch
- Ad hoc creative writing tasks including artist bios, album blurbs, web content
Sound pretty decent? You bet, chief. Shoot your resume and a cover letter to Niriko McLure at firstname.lastname@example.org to apply.
KEYBOARD AND PIANO SALES - MALL MUSIC, WARRINGAH MALL (Sydney)
Mall Music is on the hunt for a musically minded sales whizz to join the team at their store in Warringah Mall in Sydney's Northern Beaches area as a keyboard and piano sales specialist. Ideally, you'll be proficient in multiple instruments, have a vast practical understanding of music technology, and be able to professionally demonstrate products to customers and assist in their product selection.
- Experienced in retail and/or sales with a positive, sales oriented approach to customer service
- Advanced musicianship across keyboards, digital pianos and synthesisers along with their related accessories
- Knowledge of sheet music and music teaching methods
- Enthusiastic people person who is driven to provide the best service to our customers
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and take direction from others
- Understands the importance of presentation and putting your best foot forward with our customers
- A current drivers licence and the ability to work one weekend day a week is essential
- Assisting customers in person, via email and over the phone
- Stock processing
- Set-ups and organising deliveries
- Visual merchandising
- Creating and managing product listings online
Check out Mall Music's SEEK listing for more details and start your application today.
CEO - SONGLINES ABORIGINAL MUSIC CORPORATION (Melbourne)
Songlines Aboriginal Music Corporation is an Aboriginal formed and controlled organisation created in 1996 by a group of Victorian based Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander musicians, providing a platform for them to be heard as a collective and to nurture the development of future First Nations musicians. They're currently seeking an experienced leader to take on the role of CEO and lead the organisation in a stage of growth to create a stronger future for ATSI artists and communities nationwide.
- Experience and understanding of working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander/First Nations cultures and communities, particularly in relation to arts, and a commitment to furthering Songline’s values
- Demonstrated understanding of the issues that affect and continue to affect ATSI peoples
- High level of strategic and operational skills (preferably in an arts sector)
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with clients and funding bodies
- Well-developed leadership qualities and demonstrated financial management skills
- Strong presentation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Demonstrated ability to build strategic partnerships and alliances
- Ambition to build Songlines to meet its potential as a great Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts organisation
- Relevant tertiary qualifications (e.g. Master of Business Administration, or postgraduate Arts or Social Services qualifications) and/or equivalent industry
- First Nations People are strongly encouraged to apply
- Administer all aspects of the Songlines business
- Provide timely and accurate reports to the Board, prepare documentation and attend Board, sub-committee meetings in the capacity of CEO and as minute taker
- Ensure the Board is kept fully informed on all aspects of Songlines including risk and financial management
- Be proactive in leading the development, implementation and review of Songlines’s Strategic Plan
- Ensure that Songlines meets strategic and operational objectives and financial targets in annual budgets and plans approved by the Board of Directors
- Develop and oversee the delivery of programs, activities and services that contribute to the ongoing growth of Songlines’ financial resources and lead to ongoing sustainability
- Identify and capitalise on new opportunities to generate revenue, including applying for and acquitting grant and foundation funding and undertaking business development activities
- Develop and sustain strategic partnerships and relationships with relevant government, private and not-for-profit organisations and agencies, artists to enhance the strategic direction of Songlines
- Be responsible for ensuring Songlines adheres to sound financial practices and policies and is compliant with all relevant legislation
- Oversee all HR functions, including recruitment and supervision of staff, performance management, professional development, compliance with Songlines policies and practices and foster an organisational culture that attracts, rewards and retains high calibre staff
- Represent Songlines as the spokesperson at public forums, functions, events and meetings
To apply, submit your resume and a cover letter addressing the selection criteria to Songlines' SEEK listing here.
Image via Edward Cisneros.